- throughput through‧put [ˈθruːpʊt] noun [uncountable]the amount of work, materials etc that can be dealt with in a particular period of time:
• The airport has a weekly throughput of 100,000 passengers.
• This machine has the throughput capacity of seven of our old computers (= can deal with seven times as much information in the same period of time ) .
* * *Total volume of raw materials processed in a given period by a plant such as an oil refinery. Also, the total volume of crude oil and refined products handled by a storage facility or pipeline.
* * *throughput UK US /ˈθruːpʊt/ noun [U or C, usually singular]► PRODUCTION the amount of work done or people, materials, etc. that are dealt with in a particular amount of time: improve/increase throughput »
We need to improve our throughput because demand is high at present.a throughput of sth »
At the maximum there would be a daily throughput of 35,000 visitors.»
throughput capability/speed/time► IT the amount of data that is dealt with by a machine or system in a particular period of time: a throughput of sth »
This wireless system has a maximum throughput of 70 megabits per second.»
Financial and business terms. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
throughput — energy, activity, 1808, Scottish slang; from THROUGH (Cf. through) + PUT (Cf. put). Industrial sense is from 1915 … Etymology dictionary
throughput — The rate at which a machine processes mail, usually designated in pieces per hour … Glossary of postal terms
throughput — ► NOUN ▪ the amount of material or items passing through a system or process … English terms dictionary
throughput — [thro͞o′poot΄] n. the amount of material put through a process in a given period, as by a computer … English World dictionary
Throughput — This article is about the use of Throughput in communication networks. For disk drives, see Throughput (disk drive). For business management, see Throughput (business). In communication networks, such as Ethernet or packet radio, throughput or… … Wikipedia
Throughput — In business, the rate at which an organization reaches a given goal. Throughput is generally viewed as the rate a business is able to produce a product or service for a given unit of time. Businesses with high throughput (output) levels are able… … Investment dictionary
Throughput — Se llama throughput al volumen de trabajo o de información que fluye a través de un sistema. Así también se le llama al volumen de información que fluye en las redes de datos. Particularmente significativo en almacenamiento de información y… … Wikipedia Español
throughput — through|put [ˈθru:put] n [U] the amount of work, goods, or people that are dealt with in a particular period of time throughput of ▪ an airport with a weekly throughput of 100,000 passengers high/low throughput ▪ a large store with a high… … Dictionary of contemporary English
throughput — [[t]θru͟ːpʊt[/t]] N UNCOUNT The throughput of an organization or system is the amount of things it can do or deal with in a particular period of time. ...technologies which will allow us to get much higher throughput... There s still a reasonable … English dictionary
throughput — A measure of the data transfer rate through a complex communications or networking scheme. Throughput is considered an indication of the overall performance of the system. For example, the throughput of a server depends on the processor… … Dictionary of networking